[nagdu] Owning guide dogs

Jody Ianuzzi thunderwalker321 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 03:27:38 UTC 2015

Hello Sandra,

I was very disturbed to hear of your experience having your guide dog taken from you.  I think that it is very important  for guide dog handlers to be given full ownership of their dogs to avoid this kind of situation.

that said I was also disturbed to hear of your account blasting the school and trainers by name.  Your experience was unfortunate but it happened 40 years ago and does not reflect on the way the school or the trainers behave today and bring negative responses today for something that happened 40 years ago.

I was also trained by John Byfield in 2005 and I have been in contact with him recently.  He is an amazing man.  He began training dogs in 1957 and he is still actively training dogs and handlers today. I just got a message from a friend who completed training with her guide dog today.  He is a legend in the international guide dog world and I believe he is the best of the best trainer of dogs and handlers.

Please, what happened 40 years ago was a long time ago and I think John Byfield and GDF should be judged on all they do today, not by what happened in the past.

Perhaaps your story would accomplish more by recalling your feelings of helplessness and sorrow rather then naming names and blaming the school.  A lot has changed in 40 years.

JODY 🐺
thunderwalker321 at gmail.com

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."  DOCTOR WHO (Tom Baker)