[nagdu] naming names was Owning guide dogs

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sat Aug 22 12:19:29 UTC 2015

I think naming names is a good thing.  I think it makes people accountable
for their actions.  I think it also encourages thought before action.  Forty
years ago, there was no internet and information was not as easily shared.
Now that everyone knows as soon as they do something rude, inappropriate or
offensive, they are going to be called out publically for it, they might
just think twice before doing it.

Of course, I am not encouraging gossip in any way.  Sandra wasn't gossiping
though.  This was her personal experience.  She was not guessing or
spreading rumors.  She was sharing her personal truth.

There's also a big difference between sharing the facts of what happened and
calling names.   One is honest and respectful and the other is judgmental. I
view it like reading the newspaper, just tell me the facts and let me draw
my own conclusions.

I think we need to stop hiding behind brand loyalty and accept the truth in
all it's colors.  No one complains when names are named in regard to some
warm fuzzy story.  If it's okay to name names in that instance, then I don't
see why it's not okay to name names when the going gets tough.

Yes, what happened to Sandra was a long time ago.  She is clear about that.
People change as do program policies.  GDF offers full ownership at
graduation now.  It's important to acknowledge where we are now, but in
order to do that we have to know where we came from.

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC