[nagdu] process of getting a guide dog from leader dog

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 02:42:48 UTC 2015

Rox, although mostly I agree with you, I know for me having my
first dogs with me as I went out and about gave me a lot more
confidence.  When we first moved here in the winter of 2013, I
learned a lot by walking with my cane, but I had just graduated
from the Colorado Center a few months before, and I felt more
confident about traveling around with my cane.  Plus I didn't
want to be in a totally new neighborhood with a new dog.  So I
did walk around a lot.

But I remember when I moved to Portland in 1992.  I came home
from Seeing Eye with Nat.  I did not know my neighborhood at all.
But I walked around and got lost and got found again all with my
third dog Nat.  It actually helped us bond, I think.  But there
has to be a certain confidence and determination to do that.  You
have to be very motivated to get out by yourself.  If you're not,
then forget about getting a dog.  Work toward finding that
motivation within you.

I know a gentleman who has a dog from GEB.  He lives here in
Spokane.  He was at my house recently for a meeting.  My husband
commented afterward: "I kept waiting for that dog to bite him".
The reason was that he just kept calling the dog's name and not
giving him a command.  I'd have wanted to yell at him, "Shut up!"
It would be like somebody saying, Debby, Debby, Debby? Debby! The
guy adores the dog, but I think it's more like the dog has
trained the guy.  Does the dog bring him happiness? Yeah, I
suppose so.  But does the dog guide him? I don't think he does
too much.  The guy uses Paratransit or a cab.  It's not my place
to question GEB, but I just don't exactly understand what the dog
does for him, other than provide companionship.  He's a nice dog,
too.  I rode in a van with him and his dog for like five hours
once, we were all scrunched together and he refused to take the
dog's harness off, even though the dog would have been much more
comfortable and taken up less space.  His reasoning? "My school
wouldn't like it".  So I haven't exactly figured out why he has
the dog, and what he does with the dog when he isn't taking
Paratransit somewhere.  Perhaps someone could explain GEB's
Special Meeds program to me, then I would understand a little
more, perhaps.    Debby