[nagdu] process of getting a guide dog from leader dog

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 14:55:44 UTC 2015

Julie,
Leader provides GPS units to their guide dog graduates. Those who take
the AMP are allowed to use it, but I don't think they are gifted one.
It's called the Kapten, and from what I've heard, it's a pretty
inexpensive device. I think it costs around $250, but don't quote me.

Debby, I don't think all guide dog users are reflective of their
particular guide dog program. GEB advises us to work our dogs on a
daily or several times a week basis. What that means for each person
is different. Some people walk about 3 miles each day because of their
schooling, employment, community service, errands, etc., and other
people use vehicle transport to most places and primarily work their
dogs indoors. If it doesn't seem like that guy's dog has a lot of pent
up energy, he is likely doing something with his dog.
At the same token, I understand what you mean. Too many people just
call a dog's name if the dog is being nosy or not settling, but don't
tell the dog what they want it to do. That is very irritating. My
family does that to the Golden Guy when they want him to come to them.
But he will not come unless you tell him to. Calling his name simply
gets him to look at you, and if you're not me, you might not get that
much since he is trained to only respond to specific tones of voice.

Regardless of how the special needs instructor worked with this guy,
it is still up to him how to handle, work with, and travel with his
dog.

John, people who don't have a good sense of direction rely heavily on
GPS technology. I think you would benefit from it greatly if you got
the chance to try it out and familiarize yourself with it.
Turn-by-turn directions would likely make you an improved and more
confident traveler.

You can aso Google walking directions to certain places, and write
them out or record them and take it with you. Even if you have to stop
and recheck the directions after every turn, you're still going
somewhere. The only way to improve your travel skills is to travel
more. Finding specific places to travel to helps because it
familiarizes you with different areas. When you do a route over and
over again, you don't have to be too concerned with sense of
direction.

I am offended for you at the instructor who said you wouldn't benefit
from a GPS unit. I don't know you or that person personally, but I'd
say that whatever expectations they have of people who use GPS tech
are unrealistic. If you can follow simple instructions and use a phone
or computer, you can use a GPS. Come on now!

The Commisssion, or whatever they call themselves now, are extremely
irritating. They should have no issue paying for O&M instruction for
you. The program at Leader didn't even cost them a cent, so what are
they whining about? Have you been to a training center? There is one
right in Kalamazoo. I've been there twice and had wonderful O&M
instruction that has proved extremely useful for route-planning and
exploring unfamiliar territory. Maybe you want instruction in your
particular area, and that's okay, too.
I just think most of the folks at the commission get paid for drinking
coffee and thinking about doing something, but I won't go there. Some
people there work really hard, and some people think about working
really hard.
--
Raven
Founder of 1AM Editing & Research

You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you
have or what you do.

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs