[nagdu] process of getting in to the seeing eye

Aleeha Dudley blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 20:00:16 UTC 2015

I'm going to give you some very open and candid advice. Since you are going to essentially be working with your first dog, since the one you got from pilot did not work out, I would not recommend making breed and gender specifications. First, it will take a long time for them to find the right dog for you. Limiting yourself to female golden retrievers could perhaps Delay your admission by months, or even a year or two, depending on your walking speed and other needs. Second, I believe in the trainers at these schools. I believe in their capabilities of making good matches for you. They've been working with dogs for years, and know how to match someone. That being said, they will be able to pick the best possible dog for you, with the right temperament, speed, pull, and other characteristics, if you let them pick from all of the dogs that they have. This comes from personal experience. I would have loved a golden retriever. I adore the dogs, and grew up with one. I have a very soft spot in my heart for goldens. However, when I told my trainer this, I also told her that I would be OK with whatever dog they found for me. This let them make the best match possible, and I was in class on time. I received a wonderful male yellow Labrador, and I couldn't be happier. He is beautiful, smart, no, make that brilliant, a fast walker, fantastic around traffic, and everything I need him to be. Yes, there have been times when I have doubted the match, because we've had problems, but, in the end, I knew it was the right decision. Even my trainer had known from the time she interviewed me that I was going to get a dog from that litter. She had Dallas in mind three months before I went into training. She barely even started with him. That's how good these people are. I would advise you to let them make their decisions. I hope that gives you some perspective and helps you make the right decision for you. Because in the end, that's all that matters.

Sent from my iPhone