[nagdu] to notify or not

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 22:28:31 UTC 2015

I agree with this 100%. I sympathize with the sentiments of those who
choose to notify drivers, etc., but I choose not to notify them. Most
of the people who freak out about the dog usually give in after I say
I'm disabled, or I have to be at work by such and such a time.

I will be visiting my puppy-raisers soon, and recently was advised by
them to notify Delta that I am flying with a dog because they called
the airline to ask some questions. Delta told them to have me call and
inform Delta that I will be flying with a service animal and his
weight. I just said okay, but I am not calling it in. They will find
out I have a dog when I show up, and will be able to seat me
appropriately. The extra weight excuse is nonsense, since I don't have
to report my own weight or the weight of my carry-on. The planes are
on a scale, so if any adjustments need to be made, the airline staff
will do an adequate job of that.

The sort of accommodations I need from an airline or driver are not
the kind anyone needs early notification about. I need some floor
space, and I've never boarded a plane, train, or driver's vehicle or
stayed in a hotel that didn't have that available.

While allergies are on the rise, I find it extremely hard to believe
that every other Uber driver and cabbie has dog allergies.
Furthermore, I should not be expected to extend any sort of courtesy
to the person who sees my dog and decides to pull off rather than
offering to wait till another driver shows up.
When I lived in Grand Rapids and told a cab company I had a service
dog, the dispatch just said, "Oh, that doesn't matter, honey." And I
don't think they told the drivers anyway. However, the people in that
city are more friendly toward the disabled population and are more
accepting and/or educated about accommodation laws.
--
Raven
Founder of 1AM Editing & Research

You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you
have or what you do.

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs