[nagdu] Guides at NFB training centers

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 06:35:40 UTC 2015

Ah, but Dave, our views differ.
Allow me to quote you:

"they also teach us how to accept >> our blindness, how to prosper in
a sighted world and other >> attitude-related factors.  I think it was
Jim Omvig who said they
>>are >> '"attitude factories."'

Calling training centers "attitude factories" is like calling yoga
classes meditation courses. There can be a large meditation aspect to
yoga. In fact, part of yoga's purpose is meditative. However, the
majority of people who do yoga and attend yoga classes are in it for
the physical and mood-enhancing benefits of yoga, and not for the
meditation aspect.

Here's you again,
"It seems to me that the service animal crowd should come together and
>> design a training center that does good things using a dog.
People have complained about our Centers and
>>dogs for as long as we have >> had centers, and these lists.  Do something about it!"

Here's an idea. Attend the training center's O&M lessons/training with
your guide dog. That is my suggestion. That's doing something, and
that's taking a stand, clearly asserting that a guide dog is your
primary mobility aid, and if your gonna get further mobility training,
it's gonna be with a harness and leash in hand.
Part of this continued discrimination is the fact that we allow the
training centers to make up all the rules, and quite arbitrary ones if
you ask me. I didn't get a guide dog so that somebody could tell me
when and when not to use him. I got a guide dog to use him as a
mobility aid in the circumstances that I see fit.
The decision to attend O&M at a training center should not be a
decision not to use your own guide dog.
Another choice is to choose not to partake in O&M lessons if the dog
is not allowed to be used as a mobility aid.
The training centers should understand that guide dog handlers have
made the life-altering decision to use a dog as a mobility aid, no
matter how damaging that is to the NFB philosophy. It is not about the
NFB, it is about helping someone become more independent. Anyone
daring to take on the challenges I have proposed here will come to
understand how accepting or intolerant the NFB truly is.

Thanks NFB for establishing the centers, but there's still progress to
be made in terms of ideology and best practices.
--
Raven
Founder of 1AM Editing & Research

You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you
have or what you do.

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs