[nagdu] Guides at NFB training centers

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 04:46:10 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I have tossed around the idea of going to an NFB training center from
time to time.  I am quite interested in Aleeha's experience at LCB and
look forward to hearing about her progress and how things go with her
dog.

As for the discussion that has evolved here, I see both sides of the
coin.  Walking before running aside, there are cues we take from our
dog that we don't even realize.  How about that person standing behind
you that your dog senses before you?  What about the way your dog
not-so-subtly refuses to move when you insist on walking into
something to which you have been warned by him?  And then there are
all the things in the environment we miss (a plus for most of us).
Working with a dog is hard work, responsibility, and requires a lot of
skill, intelligence, and patience, but in the end we receive that
bond.  I don't think we even realize how much we function in that bond
until it's gone or it changes.  As the queen of second dog syndrome
here, I can tell you that the bond we cultivate with our dogs allows
us to pick up on things we don't even realize.

The NFB centers teach training under sleep shades.  This means that
all students wear sleep shades (no vision at all!) all day long.  I
have a useful amount of vision that helps me travel.  I do not work my
dog ignoring the sight I have, though I probably should.  If I went
for training, I think it might be nice to go back to square one at
first with the cane as I get used to sleep shades.  I doubt I will
want to handle an energetic dog in a new environment, who will
undoubtedly try to take advantage of me.  Can you imagine the
disaster?  So yeah, it might be easier and less stressful to take the
dog out of the equation for a while.

But after I have gotten used to my surroundings and shown progress in
my cane travel skills, I would expect to be able to spend time working
my dog.  After all, I chose to get a dog at age 17, and I have never
looked back.  I love dogs, enjoy working them, and would much rather
travel not hitting everything I encounter.  I would wish that as part
of the center individual learning experience that I would get to work
on some routes with my dog under sleep shades.  After all, wouldn't I
be a better guide dog traveler if I learned not to rely on my vision
for navigation?  And the experience of not relying on that vision
would certainly be different with a dog than a cane, so I would prefer
adjusting to this difference with an instructor by my side who can
advise (even if not on the dog training aspects).

I really do believe that independence means learning to embrace the
tools you have so that nothing keeps you from living the way you want.
We have so many tools at our disposal--some are more appropriate than
others at different times.  But as we, the adult blind, must
eventually guide ourselves down our own paths to independence, we need
to be responsible for the choices we make and the tools we use.  If
this means working a guide dog the majority of the time, then we
should be the best darn dog users we know how to be, and the training
centers should embrace and enhance this choice.