[nagdu] Traveling

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Tue Dec 1 18:08:03 UTC 2015

I would talk with your vet because he would be the best to advise you
about how to take your dog into the EU.  I did it a few years ago but
the rules change regularly.  I will also advise you that different
countries have different rules about service animals.  I went to
Austria and had to pay extra for my dog to stay in the hotel because
they do not have laws around it.  In Austria and Germany many people
have their pets with them so be aware that you will encounter many
dogs on the streets in some countries.  Just don't expect the same
level of accessibility in all of the countries you will be traveling
through.  I am not sure there will be any check points between Italy
and Germany because you will be travelling through EU countries so
there are open borders.  One more thing, when you make your
reservations let the airlines know you will be travelling with a dog
in the cabin.  Pilots on international flights have different
requirements than flights within the U.S.  I had more trouble getting
my dog into and out of the U.S. than I had in Europe.  When I returned
home and went through customs I had to show the papers that proved she
came from the U.S.  All that being said, I had a wonderful trip and
was thrilled that I took her with me.  Have fun!

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053