[NAGDU] Is this acceptable

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Thu Dec 10 16:01:56 UTC 2015

Marianne,

	You are correct in your assessment. The room in which blood is drawn
is not a sterile environment, as you and others enter the room in your
street clothes and do not undergo any specific precautions, e.g., donning
masks, gloves, gowns, etc., that would not be practical for a dog. Your
choice for mobility is to use a guide dog and no one can take that choice
away from you without demonstrating the presence of your dog poses a direct
threat - a significant risk to the health or safety of others that cannot be
eliminated by a reasonable modification in policies, practices, or
procedures - causes an undue burden, or that your dog is out of control. I
would definitely file a complaint with the business and advise them they are
violating both state and federal laws. Such conduct in Ohio is a criminal
offense and I would certainly make them aware of such fact. I would also
encourage you to file a complaint with the state Department of Health that
licenses this facility, as they are obligated by their licenses to employ
nondiscriminatory practices. If you need our assistance, please do not
hesitate to give us a call.

Fraternally yours,

Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc.
National Federation of the Blind
(813) 626-2789
(888) 624-3841 (Hotline)
President at nagdu.org
http://www.nagdu.org

High expectations create unlimited potential for the blind!