[NAGDU] TSA Remobving HarnesseswasL Materials for Canes

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Tue Dec 15 18:17:50 UTC 2015

Hi:

As many have said here, I get Bogart to sit in front of the scanner. I step through. Usually have the worker reach a hand for me to guide me. Then I call Bogart through and be sure to give him a treat. Bogart has all of his gear on. Sometimes they pat him down, sometimes they check the harness pouch (although, when I remember, I send the harness pouch through with my stuff to make one less hassle). Then sometimes they will swab my hands (mostly when I'm in the states) and then over to the  conveyer belt to gather out things. I, like others, usually tell them what I want to do and generally everyone is happy to work it that way.

I recall once a funny incident when my girlfriend had been tagged for a random check. Because our tickets were attached (in Canada  my guide flies for the cost of taxes) they wanted to check me too. They came over and when they saw the dog, started talking to Susan about me. I piped up and asked if they wanted something from  me. I think seeing the dog and me being blind they just apologized and said no worries please continue through the  check. Susan was already annoyed about being randomly selected for more in depth treatment and then was annoyed that would talk to her rather than me if it was about me.

Generally security goes pretty good though and I've learned to state what I want and not be afraid to ask questions. As long as I stay friendly people usually react the same way.

Cheers

Gary