[NAGDU] Job interviews?

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 18:33:44 UTC 2015

Hopefully, working in an office environment with another dog is no
different from working in any other environment--mall, airport, etc,
with another dog around. Do what you need to, to keep your dog
focused, whether you choose to interact with this other dog or not.
Whatever happens, the rules you lay down pertaining to interaction
restrictions should be obeyed, no one should force this other dog into
your dog's space, and others should not treat your dog as they treat
this office dog because she is your service animal, not a source of
entertainment.

I don't advice predisclosure unless you think there is more to gain
than lose from such a notice. Perhaps you think it best that others
are notified that you have a service dog so they know they should not
interact with her at all, or without your express permission. Maybe
there are materials or technologies that can be available for you if
the company knows you are blind. For instance, a previous job of mine
required me to take a typing test, obviously requiring some
modifications, and I did disclose on my application that I am blind.

When I applied to LDB, I did not disclose my disability or that I have
a guide dog, and believe me, there are many dogs that occupy and prowl
the administrative area, and many employees and donors who have a deep
misunderstanding of appropriate behavior around guide dog handlers and
their canine partners.

A cost-benefit analysis is your best help here.
--
Raven
Founder of 1AM Editing & Research

You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you
have or what you do.

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs