[NAGDU] Flying With Our Dogs

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 15 19:18:25 UTC 2015

Hello:

I don’t know about any of you but, I absolutely hate going through security.
I’ve gone through for many years with several previous and now my present
dog.  Some dogs do fine but some get quite nervous when a stranger is
patting them down and touching them all over reaching under their harness
and collar.  I know some people who use an all nylon or leather collar/leash
combination with no metal parts to go through airport security.  I am
seriously  considering this because Eva got nervous when all those big burly
guards with guns surrounded her and touched her while she was working.
Normally she’s a friendly dog but, in that situation, it was obvious she
didn’t like it at all.

While we are on the subject of flying, can we discuss stress and anxiety.
Eva is an excellent guide, she’ll guide me through the airport, to security,
to our gate,  down the jet way onto the plane and to my seat.  She’ll be
fine until she hears the motors start and feels the vibrations through the
floor.  Then she begins to shake.  I talk to her calmly and pet her to
provide comfort.  Then I remembered trainers telling us not to make a big
deal if the dog seems to be afraid so, I don’t pay attention to her.  Then
she’ll keep trying to get up and move toward the isle and off the plane.
Once we land, she is anxious to get off but, once we leave the plane, She’ll
calm down immediately and her work is excellent.  When I flew to the
convention in July a US Air flight attendant felt so sorry for Eva that she
gave her one of the airline’s  fleece blankets thinking it might make her
more comfortable and relaxed.  When I got up to leave that flight the
attendant told me to take Eva’s blanket in case it would help us on the next
flight but, it didn’t help.  Eva still has that blanket and she loves it.

I’m not flying anywhere this holiday season but, I’d appreciate any advice
and suggestions because I know we’ll be flying in the future.  .  I know
some of you would suggest Rescue Remedy.  Where can I get it?  Are there any
side effects?  How much should be used and?  How long do you give it before
the flight?

Sandra and Eva, who wants to stay on the ground