[NAGDU] Hello

Lisa Belville missktlab1217 at frontier.com
Tue Dec 15 21:45:53 UTC 2015

Hi, Lisa, as others have said, it depends on the schools.  Some only train
for four months but the schools I know who do this keep their dogs with the
puppy raisers for a year and a half and they crunch the four months of
training into more training opportunities throughout the day.

I'm on my third dog and I definitely want a dog who has had more time to
mature without the stresses of kennel life or formal training, not that
extensive formal training isn't important, but a dog who can be rid of most
of his puppy tendencies before I get him is going to have a better chance
with me because  I can concentrate on work issues specific to my
environment.

My first dog was 18 months old when I got him, and he was an awesome worker,
but full of energy and really too fast and hard of a puller for me.  I
honestly don't think more time with his raisers would have made much
difference in that case, he was just very rambunxious and too smart for his
own good.    My second dog was turned into the school early because they
were running low on dogs.  She spent barely ten months with her puppy
raisers, and I got her days before she turned a year and a half.  She'd gone
through training, but had a ton of kennel time in there.  she was probably
the worst behaved as far as in house manners, and I spent most of the first
year adjusting to her horrible house manners and some training issues.  she
turned out to be a good dog, but not without a huge amount of time and
effort on the part of myself and the school.

My current dog turned two just before we were matched.  She was with her
raiser for a year and a half.  She is by far the calmest and most behaved of
my dogs, even as a green dog.  All of the dogs in the class where I got
Paige were over two as well.

I'm not saying that letting dogs stay with their raisers for longer than a
year is a 100% guarantee for a successful match, but it does help.  also,
since I've worked with dogs before, I know what I want and don't want and
what I absolutely will not tolerate in a dog, so that helps, too.

Lisa

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217 at frontier.com
Veni, Vedi, Visa. I came. I Saw. I did a little shopping.