[NAGDU] Cricket can growl?

Emily Michael emily.k.michael at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 14:58:37 UTC 2015

Hi Abby and all,

A similar situation happened to me this year. I think extra pups is a peril of the holiday party season!

I went to a holiday party where the hostess usually has her small dog put up. She lives next door to a police officer, who has a K-9 dog in their fenced yard. But the police dog rarely barks or causes trouble, so I didn’t expect a problem. I was getting out of the car and putting York’s harness on when I heard some pretty intense barking. Turns out the neighbor has two German shepherds, and they were out in the yard. My parents assured me that the dogs were behind a fence, but their barking still got York excited. It was difficult to get his harness on because he kept turning to see the other dogs.

Then we walked through the front door and not one but two little dogs came charging at us. One was barking and growling – very aggressive. So I stepped back outside with York until the little dogs could be taken care of. York behaved well, but little dogs make me nervous because they can get so easily underfoot.

I’ve heard York growl only once when another off-leash dog came running up to greet him. I was at a quartet rehearsal in a friend’s house and her daughter’s ill-trained dog snuck out of the bedroom where he was being kept. York growled because the other dog was way too close, crowding him. I didn’t correct him because I knew the growl meant, “Back off, buddy.”

As others have said, introductions are vital. A few people at the holiday party thought I was being a diva because I was upset about the other dogs there. I wouldn’t have minded them being there if York had a chance to meet them on neutral turf. But being surprised by other dogs, especially dogs who aren’t well-behaved, when you’re trying to work your guide dog – that’s no fun.

For a good example, I went to a get-together yesterday at my sister’s house. Even though York has met her friendly Corgi before, I asked that they be reintroduced. They were able to sniff each other and there were no issues.

With best,
Emily
---
Emily K. Michael
emily.k.michael at gmail.com
Blog: http://areyouseeingthis.wordpress.com/

"Nowhere, Love, will world exist but within."
- Rainer Maria Rilke