[NAGDU] Cricket can growl?

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 16:36:50 UTC 2015

The purpose of a correction is to get the dog's attention and
that the dog should absolutely stop doing what they are doing.
We are taught that there is a ladder of correction.  Sometimes a
quiet "leave it" is all that is necessary.  Sometimes a different
word is used, kind of like a warning: you know you're not
supposed to be doing what you're doing.  At that point, I would
definitely do a correction.  That is how our dogs are trained,
and I know for sure that Nova knows "leave it" means to stop
doing what she's doing.  Fortunately, most of the time Nova
responds to the leave it command.  And she understands my praise
when I give it to her, knowing that she did a good thing.  I
personally don't think corrections are a bad thing, but I do
think it's important that the dog understand what it's being
corrected for.  I also don't believe in huge amounts of food
rewards, either.  That sends a message that I don't want to send.
But I know I'm outnumbered on this list in regards to that.
(Smile).  That's okay, I'm good with that, too.    Debby