[nagdu] Getting around Springfield, Ohio

Chaim B. Segal chaimsegal at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 3 17:05:41 UTC 2015

Hi Everybody:

To those of you on Oagdu, I will make a more formal introduction later. I want to ask in advance for all responses to this message to be made off-list.

My wife Brooke just landed a job as a reservationist with Red Roof Inn. Though she will be working out of our house, her initial training is taking place in Springfield, Ohio at their call center. Unless we hear otherwise from her OOD counselor, she is responsible for her transportation to and from Springfield, as well as buying food to have in her motel room during the afternoons and evenings of her four-week stay. (She will be coming home to me for weekends.) Even if OOD does provide transportation for her from Dayton to Springfield, I will inevitably come see her at some intermittant points during training. Once upon a time, when I was a young boy on into my adolescence, our family dentist was in Springfield. Occasionally, my parents took us to stores here and there while visiting the small city. My father also had a temporary job there with treating Kosher meat at a meat-packing place.  However, that was so long ago, that I would not have paid any attention to the city's layout. I understand that the Red Roof Inn call Center is across the street from some mall.

When I trained with Einstein at Seeing Eye, there was an older teacher in class named Debbie, whose last name escapes me. I had subsequent contact with her on one occasion while researching the possibility of becoming a teacher. That was around 15 years ago. If anybody knows her, perhaps it might be a good idea to re-initiate some contact.
Is anybody here familiar with the Springfield, Ohio metropolitan area from a blind perspective? What taxicab services are blind friendly? Does Springfield have a public transit system and a corresponding paratrransit system? Other than the Kroger's, which is apparently not far from where she will be staying, what other grocery stores/supermarkets are there?

I need info as soon as possible. For faster access, you can call us. Our home number is, 937 293-2815. My mobile number is, 937 231-6119. BROOKE'S cell phone is 937 430-2273. She prefers to be called Hava. (Rhymes with lava.)

Thanks in advance!

Chaim

Chaim B. Segal
Customer Service Representative: Sinclair Community College, Dayton, Ohio

Every man, woman every boy and girl,
Let your love light shine and make a better world

Daryl Hall And John Oates