[nagdu] Guide dog seminars or camps

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Sat Feb 14 21:56:26 UTC 2015

Many states have NAGDU seminars at state convention. Since many times there will be guide dog instructors there. So borrow a guide dog  for your friend and ask the instructor to watch them giving tips. They can have a long leash attached to the dog for extra safety for both. Or come to the National convention. Or you or a friend let them walk with your dog and you hold the long leash in a familiar area. My first dog dragged this lady all over. I told her my dog did not like to guide other people, but she wanted to try anyway. My second dog guided others well. Jake loves kicking his paws fast for my husband who likes walking fast, smile. He though knows how to handle a dog.

If she is a slow walker then try to find a person with a slow dog. Probably the dog will seem fast as she is not used to working nor following a guide dog. So assure her no matter which or any dog she works it will seem off balance to her.

Or let her hold a harness and you mimic the rocking of some labs, the rolling of some poodles, the silky smooth walk of some shepherds and goldens a few labs have also had this smooth walk. This is more than I had as I would have loved to feel the different gates. My first golden walked like a lab though, lolol. So that is why I keep using the word, some.
JMO.
Becky and jake