[nagdu] families and our dogs

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Feb 18 12:42:54 UTC 2015

Vent away!  I think families are particularly tough because we have an
expectation that they will understand us and love and support us.  I mean I
can easily ignore a stranger in Wal-Mart who says some random thing but when
my husband says, "your dog is eating the plants again."  Yeah well, that
stings a bit.   I think because I immediately internalize his comment as,
I'm not doing enough or I'm not supervising her correctly or I am a failure.
None of those things are true, but his opinions matter to me.   He didn't
say I was a failure or not doing enough or anything of the sort, but I
always interpret his commentary on the dogs in the worst possible way
because I am a perfectionist.   She's eating the plants not because I am a
horrible person but because she finds them interesting.  My husband is
telling me not because he wants to rub it in that I am a failure, but
because he wants me to know so I can do what needs to be done.  No one can
ever be as hard on me as I am to myself.

Julie
horrible

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC
Visit my new website on developing courage and living authentically:
http://www.falling-up.com