[nagdu] COMMUNITY COMMENTARY 'Emotional support dogs' endanger somein public

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sat Feb 21 02:18:01 UTC 2015

Debby,

The difference between an ESA and an SD for a mental disability such as
PTSD is whether the dog is task-trained. If the dog just makes the
person feel better, then it's just a dog, thus an ESA. If the dog is
trained to do something, then it's a service dog. Tasks for PTSD SDs can
include turning on lights before the handler enters a room, performing
some action to interrupt an episode, guiding the handler away from a
trigger or preventing the handler from encountering the trigger, stuff
like that.

hth,

Tami