[nagdu] When To Relieve

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Feb 26 14:29:38 UTC 2015

To me this sounds like a people issue, not a dog issue.  there's no absolute
anything in regard of how many relieving times per day, how long to stay out
each time, how much to walk before relieving, how long of a leash to use,
whether to let her go on grass/cement/woodchips or whatever.  Those are all
individual needs and preferences you have to work out for yourself, your
situation and your dog.  To me, it looks like you've figured out what works
for you and your problem is with the trainer telling you something that
doesn't make sense to you.

As to what to do about it, that's entirely up to you.    Basically your
options are: do what the trainer says, don't do what the trainer says or get
the trainer to say something different.   There are a lot of different
options in each of those three options.  Also you need to consider the
consequences of each of them.  How will your trainer take it if you bring up
the idea of changing the schedule to one that better fits your needs?  Guide
dog trainers are people too, some are flexible, some are not, some have good
people skills and others not so much.   If you make your guide wait for two
hours to relieve, are you going to be cleaning a mess off the floor?  If you
change your schedule to the dog's does that present other complications to
your life, as in difficulties with eating/medications or getting other work
done?

all my best to you as you sort out how to proceed,
Julie