[nagdu] When To Relieve

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 26 15:08:00 UTC 2015

Elise, you have been given some good suggestions here.

When I first trained with Jenny, and in the first 3-4 months of our working relationship, I worked from 1:00 to 9:00PM.  I took her out before morning training (usually about 6:30), then before we did training walks (9:00AM), then before getting in to work.  Then I would take her out at my lunch break (usually around 5:00), then after work (about 9:30).  This worked for us for a while, and Jenny only had one accident in the house (she went #2 near the cat litter box).  Only a handful of times, Jenny would have to relieve outside the schedule; I learned very quickly the sound she makes which means "Take me out, NOW!"

When I changed jobs and work schedules, I more or less kept the same relieving schedule, though it is a bit more flexible.  If we are working more, she tends to have to relieve more, so I give her more opportunities to relieve.  I also can feel in her harness the need to go - a move I have dubbed the "pee walk" - and she will also angle me gently toward grass or snowbanks if the need is urgent while we are out and about.

In the evening, if the weather is particularly bad (raining in particular), Jenny will take one step outside and decide that it's not worth relieving, and come back inside.  Occasionally the morning after this happens, my husband will take her out at 5:00 AM before he leaves for work, but only if she gets up with him and indicates she has to go.

Some dogs require a more rigid schedule than others, and that's not a bad thing.  But Occasionally a dog will have to go outside the schedule; if the dog indicates that she has to go, and is relieving immediately, I wouldn't worry about it.  Also, I did home training, and I found the transition and training period did somewhat stress my dog, and relieving more frequently was a good thing for us.

Good luck!

Daryl