[nagdu] When To Relieve

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 15:09:20 UTC 2015

Hi Elise, are you home training? I know at school, we have a
certain schedule, but once we got home, we adjust the schedule to
fit our schedule.  For instance, the dogs go out before they eat
here.  It has not seemed to make a ton of difference.  But when
they go out to park, they get about their business, because they
want to come in and eat.  At school, we fed them first, then took
them out to park.  Of course, I can go out in my bathrobe here,
where there (at school) I couldn't, so while Neena ate, I could
throw some clothes on.  The thing is, if you're up and about, the
dog is going to wake up and have to go.  If you slept in one
morning I bet your dog would sleep too until you got up.  I'm not
saying you should change your schedule.  But things do change
after training.  Eventually you decide what is going to fit with
your schedule, and your dog's schedule.  BUT if you're still in
training right now, then that's another matter and you'll need to
keep talking with the trainer.  The other side of this is that
dogs can and sometimes have to hold it for a long time.  On road
trips, we've had the unfortunate occurrence of getting caught in
traffic jams and not being able to have a normal relief time, for
instance.  (Usually I'm having to go too).  Lol.  But I remember
my first dog, being so freaked out because it was 4:30 and I was
on a bus heading home, but it was going to be 30 or 45 minutes
later than normal to feed and relieve my dog.  I've learned since
that dogs are a lot more flexible, if they have to be.  Stuff
happens and schedules have to change.    Debby