[nagdu] Getting a Guide Dog Soon!

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 15:09:18 UTC 2015

Raven, I think it's great that you were able to save for your
dog.  But I'm not sure I totally agree with you about waiting.
For some people, having the dog gives them a confidence boost
that they need to get out there and do whatever it is they need
to do.  With the unemployment rate among blind folks at 70% or
maybe 75% (which I heard recently) surely not all blind folks who
get dogs, at least in the beginning, are totally financially
stable.  Since I got laid off in October, I've been looking for
jobs, have gotten interviews, but then not been selected.  So it
could be a long time before Helga finds work.  And circumstances
change for people, too.  When I got my first dog, I was working.
Not long after that, I lost my job.  I went from having money
coming in every month to having to apply for SSDI, which is more
than SSI, but not tons.  Thank God I was able to get through that
time, and now, I thank God because there's another income besides
just me to help with expenses for Neena.  So I really think
people have to make individual choices, and if they need some
help for awhile, hey, all of us have had help at various times in
our lives.  And dogs don't have to have the most expensive food
or toys.  No, I'm not saying they should eat Old Roy, either.
(Grin).    Blessings,    Debby and Neena