[nagdu] Getting a Guide Dog Soon!

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 15:45:11 UTC 2015

I understand what you're saying. I am one of those people who gained
great confidence from guide dog travel. But is it not somewhat
irresponsible to get a dog if you know for a fact that you can't
afford one? Life throws things at us, and you can't always be ready,
but if you have control over a situation, you have a choice. If she
already had a guide dog and something came up and she couldn't afford
things, that is completely different from applying and signing up to
take care of a living, breathing creature with needs, desires, and
expectations, when she can't afford to.
What will happen if the dog has health challenges? My first year and a
half of having the Golden Guy, he had health problems whose cost
exceeded the amount allotted to me by the school. Fortunately, I was
able to pay for the costs, no problem. And the vet I took the Golden
Guy to, gave me a 10% discount, which also helped.

Needing help with some expenses from time to time is understandable.
But you need help paying for the dog's care period? I'm sorry, but
while that is incredibly unfortunate, it is extremely unfair to
yourself, the dog, and anyone else you are financially obligated to
support. Obviously, it is your decision, but this is not a decision to
be made lightly.
People often compare getting a new dog to having a baby. While a dog
is not as expensive as a child, you should understand, they do cost
money. And cutting corners is not always an option, or the best
option. If you are going to go through with this thing though, you
must not be afraid or hesitant to ask for discounts. Ask for a 10%
discount at the vet, and then work your way down from there if they
deny you that. Look for programs in your state that offer reduce-cost
or free dog food to college students or anyone on government
assistance. And anytime you consider spending money at the vet,
carefully think about and even research if that cost is worth it in
the grand scheme of things.
When you buy toys, consider dropping money on a pricier toy that will
last six months, rather than cheaper toys that need to be replaced
every couple months. Groom and bathe your dog at home. If you have old
blankets, sheets, or towels, they will make just as good a dog bed as
one from the store.
Sit down, and think of any way you can reduce cost in some areas of
your own expenses so you can put more money toward other things for
the dog.
This is easier said than done, but it is possible. And you will
certainly make things work if you are going to get this dog.
I know that all of this sounds very harsh, but it is the truth, and
this is not just an imminent working relationship we're talking about
when we talk about getting a guide dog. We're talking about providing
adequate care for a living being. They rely on us just as much as we
rely on them; we should not cheat them in any way.
--
Raven
You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs