[nagdu] Working with a guide dog and toddler

Jennifer Woods jem4ever at icloud.com
Thu Feb 26 20:25:57 UTC 2015

Hi,
My name is Jennifer, and I have a three-year-old son. I am currently on the waiting list for a guide dog and I am wondering how those of you who have toddlers and a guide dog make it work?
 I am currently working with an orientation and mobility instructor to teach my son to walk a little bit behind me. Using a stroller is very difficult so he wears a backpack with a leash to help him stay by me as we are walking.  We are trying to figure out what my pace is with him and without him while walking so that it's not a huge change between my regular pace and the pace I walk when he's with me.

Thank you for sharing any of experiences and/or advice with me to make the transition easier when the dog arrives.

Jenn
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 NKJV