[nagdu] Barking again! (are you tired of this subject line, cause I sure am)

L Gwizdak leg1950 at cox.net
Thu Feb 26 21:52:11 UTC 2015

Hi Abigail,

I have some of these issues with Oliver, a young German Shepherd.  We have
been home for a little over 2 months.

First my questions to you.  What breed is your dog? How old is she?  What
kind of child exposure has she had?  Has she had any negative experiences
with children and what age range are these kids?  Are you aware of the body
language that is being displayed by your dog when she barks and/or growls?
Is it only at kids?

Because I don't know the answers to any of these questions, hard to help but
I can share what I do for Oliver's barking while we are out and about.  I
was told to give two-handed leash corrections and use the Gentle Leader
headcollar for the barking for the bus as it is approaching the stop.  All
this got me was a more out of control dog and hassles from the public.
People don't bother to correct their dogs around here.  I found out that
this tecnique that my trainer wanted me to do was NOT working.  So, we are
doing the opposite.  No leash corrections.  No Gentle Leader.  We have
brought out the good old clicker and pouch of treats and are using possitive
reinforcement.  This is still a method in progress but I am seeing
improvements in his behavior but slow going.  If he does not bark, then a
quiet dog gets a click, treat, and a ride.  If he decides to go into out of
control barking and not stopping, he gets no click, no treat, and no ride!
He then gets to watch the bus and my friends pull away with no Oliver on it!
It is slow going but I think the thoughts are going around in his head that
barking equals no bus ride.  He adores riding!

I don't know if your school teaches clicker or not.  We had it at Seeing Eye
where we did target work.  We used it to have him touch a doorknob with his
nose and to point out a pole at a street crossing.  Teaching a dog to DO a
new behavior works pretty fast.  But undoing a negative behavior is much
slower to do.  Hahaha, like for us!

Is the growling at kids a new behavior?  What is going on around you when
she growls or barks?  Without knowing the body language it is hard to figure
out the possible why for the behavior.  Is she scared?  Does she not like
kids? Are there always kids involved when she does the barking or growling?

I would also ask a trainer from your school be sent to observe the behavior
if it can't be solved via the phone or email.

Yeah, I was almost ready to send Oliver back but he seems to be improving
and his work is very good.  I think his issue will be resolved by my new
method of dealing with it and maturity.  He is one of the youngest dogs I've
gotten and shepherds mature more slowly than Labs.  Hope you can resolve the
problem because I know it isn't fun to have a guide dog that growls and
barks in harness.

Lyn and Oliver
"Asking who's the man and who's the woman in an LGBT relationship is like
asking which chopstick is the fork" - Unknown