[nagdu] Working with a guide dog and toddler

Toni Whaley blind_treasurer at verizon.net
Fri Feb 27 00:53:47 UTC 2015

Hello,

My daughter was four when I got my first guide dog. When we went out together, Linnea held my hand. It was amazing how Quickly Mora understood the program. Over time, my daughter would either walk behind or ahead of us. Mora would adjust her pace to match Linnea's. If Linnea got too far ahead, Mora would speed up to  get closer to her. On the other hand, if Linnea got too far behind us, Mora would slow down to let Linnea catch up. This worked quite well in the suburbs of Philadelphia. When we went into the city, Linnea held my hand until she got quite older.

AS an aside, Linnea went to a small private school through sixth grade. When, I believe, she was in fourth grade, the public school teachers went on strike. This meant there would be no bus transportation for her to school. So I would walk her to and from school. One afternoon I went to the school to get her and her best friend. We started walking home with Mora and me in the lead. Suddenly, we encountered some middle school age boys roller skating toward us. Apparently, one of the boys was so busy staring  at me that he crashed into a wall. (He wasn’t hurt.) Linnea shouted back as we passed them, "Serves you right for staring at my mother." The three of us got a good chuckle out of that.

Toni