[nagdu] Working with a guide dog and toddler

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Thu Feb 26 23:54:44 UTC 2015

Hi Jen,

It’s been a long time since Alena was four (and the size of a one year old), but Chet adjusted to her all right. I actually did pull her behind me in a stroller. Tipped back on its back wheels and was very careful, only dropped her a couple times. As for walking, when we had her up out of the stroller, and when she outgrew it, we walked her on a child leash. I know some people really don’t like those, though I’m not entirely sure why apart from a specifically emotional reaction, but it worked well for us and made it easier for us to keep track of her. As for walking a different pace with vs. without a child, these dogs are amazingly adaptable. Yours will figure this out with your help. Chet was a fast walker, but he slowed right down when he needed to.

—
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: 814-860-3194
Mobile: 814-431-0962