[nagdu] When a service dog is a pet - WAS differences between service dogs and pets

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sat Feb 28 18:55:17 UTC 2015

Julie,

The answers have been interesting. I've been pondering your question and
watching our dogs... Honestly, the biggest differences come because they
are such different types of dogs. Because I owner-train, the poodles get
more in the way of time out and about as well as at home, and they get
more gear. The difference in time and money spent on grooming is more
because they are poodles than because they are (or will be) working
dogs. I'm scratching my head, wondering if I will change Mitzi's style
or grooming schedule when she retires, but there is also the matter of
her comfort, so it will stay pretty much the same. Maybe not clean feet,
although certain times of year, clean feet are a must.

I expect pets to have a certain level of civilization at home, and so do
most of the people I know with pet dogs. So when the poodles are off
duty, I expect them to be as good as my pets and everyone else's. They
do have some specialized behaviors, some of which our pet dog has picked
up on. I'm strict with how folks -- especially family -- interact with
the poodles, but some of that also applies to Zay. There are a couple of
family members who need to be lectured every time and watched like
hawks! The rest are dog people who bring their dogs with on visits, so
they pretty much know how to behave around dogs. The only real
difference is that we don't let our dogs pre-wash the dishes or have a
free-for-all of tidbits under the table during meals. Actually, the dog
people aren't the tidbit-slippers, and their dogs tend to spend meal
times sacked out on the floor in another room. My dogs are under the
table, where they should be lying quietly, not begging tidbits from
humans who can't follow one simple rule. Humph! If none of them were
service dogs, I think I wouldn't have them around the table at meal
times. As it is, table manners here are practice for table manners in
restaurants. Zay just goes under the table because that's what Mitzi
does. Loki just goes to the place the girls assigned him because he
doesn't fit under the little table with them. /lol/ By now, he doesn't
fit under the big dining table when people have their legs under there,
too, so he gets practice lying by a chair out of the way when there is
stuff going on. He practices under in other places, too. Some of the
restaurants we go to have tables/booths with room for his size, but he
will definitely need to know how to be quiet and unobtrusive in an out
of the way spot that isn't under a table or chair, so that's why I
haven't booted Zay from her under-table spot in favor of him.

With the working dogs, I think we (my husband and me both) have a
different attitude towards added expenses for the working dogs than for
Zay. Well, Zay actually lowers his blood pressure, so in that sense she
does earn her keep. But the poodles do obvious special stuff to earn
theirs. If it comes to an emergency vet visit, would there be a
difference if it were a poodle as opposed to Zay? Hard to say. In
theory, yes, we would spend more to get the working dog back to health
and work, whereas Zay would be more likely to get a peaceful passage to
the Rainbow Bridge... But who knows, if it comes to the test?

Of course, if Zay gets an owie and limps around some, then we do what we
can and feel bad for her. Poor Zay. If Mitzi gets and owie and limps
around some... OMG!!!! There's also a lot of poor me in my emotional
reaction while my guide is off duty or on limited duty. And I worry more
about long-term possibilities and all that. What if it doesn't heal?
What will I do? OMG!!!! As a result, I think I weigh risks differently
and sometimes have to take a deep breath when the realistic risk
assessment means taking an apparent chance is the better option. I mean,
if I keep the poodles as safe and sound as I would like to, there would
be a 100 percent risk of serious long-term consequences. They need to do
certain things to be healthy physically and mentally. While they are
running around attending to their physical and mental health, there is a
possibility of injury, and that makes me more nervous when it comes to
my guide. Having run through those sorts of decisions rigorously when
Mitzi was a wild child of a puppy, my nerves are pretty much stripped by
now, so with Loki, I can be calm. Sort of. /lol/

I'm trying to think if there's anything else really significant in my
own experience. I grew up on a working ranch, so the dogs were working
dogs, the cats were mousers, the horses were working horses and the cows
were a cash crop. Sometimes, I would have a pet dog and/or cat, but they
would do double duty for the most part and be treated the same except
for coming in and being pampered more by me. I would train them to do
different things, I guess, though if it was one of the cow dogs spending
time with me, I would train it to do things, too. /smile/ My personal
horse usually had additional activities and training, just because it
was my horse and I chose to do that. It would also be a cow horse or
dude horse at need. I tried as much as possible to keep it from being
used by anyone but me, since I got tired of having to retrain my horse
all the time, but I was a kid and a girl, so... /shrug/ As I got better
with maturity and experience, my horse became less popular as a dude
horse, since a better-trained horse is too sensitive to be any fun at
all for inexperienced riders. So there! Point being, the concept of
working animal vs. personal animal that isn't specifically to do work is
fairly set for me, so the whole "a guide dog is not a pet" business
doesn't have a huge amount of impact. If I had been new to animals or
perhaps had grown up with non-working pets only, it might be
different... Probably depending on how those pets were trained and
treated. The kids of my friends with the really great pets just
naturally know how to have great pets themselves and do as good a job
keeping them healthy, happy, safe and civilized as service dogs users or
owners of other working dogs.

Tami