[nagdu] Picking up things that aren't toys

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sun Jan 4 15:43:24 UTC 2015

Krokus picks up lots of things that aren't his toys, like my shoes, hats,
papers, anything.  Really, I don't mind if he carries things around, but
then he starts chewing on them, and that I mind a lot.
At first, I scolded him and told him sternly to come so I could take the
thing away.  Predictably, he didn't want to come.  So I started calling him
cheerfully to come, and praising him when he did.  That way, he gives me
what he's got, but he doesn't learn not to pick it up.  I've heard of
trading a toy for the thing he shouldn't have.  How do people manage this?
Do you pick up toys and carry them around, waiting for the dog to grab
something non-toy?  Is there some other solution to this problem?
Tracy