[nagdu] Picking up things that aren't toys

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Jan 4 17:58:52 UTC 2015

If a toy is easily at hand I would trade for the toy.  otherwise I kept tiny
treats in my pocket that I'd use for the trade.  Eventually, they understand
the game and will wait if you don't have a toy or treat at hand.  And then
later they stop picking up stuff all together.

When Monty was younger I taught him to locate things on the floor that I had
dropped.  He was really good at it.  Then I either got less clumsy or forgot
that I had taught him this skill and didn't use it for a long while.
Yesterday I dropped a carton of mushrooms in the kitchen.  Monty was right
there and I tried to get him to show me where they went, but he just stood
there and wagged.  He didn't go for the mushrooms, so that was good.
Crawling around on the floor to find all of them wasn't any fun though.  I
don't know that I'll revisit the skill though.  So much to do and keep up
with and only so many hours in a day.

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC
Visit my new website on developing courage and living authentically:
http://www.falling-up.com