[nagdu] Relieving issues

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Thu Jan 8 18:10:28 UTC 2015

Larry,

You may be on to something. I recently switched to e-cigs, so I can
smoke indoors... Which means I've had to come up with a new reason to go
out with the dogs or to interrupt anything to go outside by a grassy
area to stand around with my dog while she does what she does and I do
what I do. When we're finished and have litter, she's very good at "find
the trash."

Since I would take the dogs out with me when I would go to smoke, it
turned out I would smoke whenever I took the dogs out. So when I got the
puppy and was going out with the dogs every couple of hours, if not
more, I did a lot of wondering why I kept running out of cigarettes so
fast. Oops! /lol/ Now I'm used to going out without lighting up, but it
took me awhile to get my sense of time spent outdoors without using the
lifespan of one lit cigarette... So it can seem like I'm spending a
longer time than I am and I'm more likely to start feeling impatient,
especially in crappy weather when it's not fun to stay out and play. :(

I wonder, too, if people feel stress about relieving because of the
expectations of the guide dog mythos that "those dogs relieve on
command" in some magical sense that they only go when told and never
hesitate or have scheduling issues or whatever. So then if a real dog
isn't so robotic about it, there go the expectations, and my dog must be
the only one that doesn't do it right... Well, I was told that a lot
when Mitzi was a pup, which made it easy to sneer, since she was
obviously a puppy, not a fully trained mature guide. Then she had that
series of UTIs, so I got in the habit of giving her opportunities to
relieve all the time. So that kept me from getting to uptight about it,
although I did have to get over stopping at every patch of grass just in
case once she was over the last infection. /shrug/

Tami