[nagdu] guide dog and parents issue

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 23:29:59 UTC 2015

I hate to tell you this, but there are dogs who probably never
get to run and play freely.  And they are fine.  They get enough
work with guiding to get exercise.  Sure, in an ideal world, it
would be great for dogs to get to run and play off leash.  But it
just DOESN'T happen always.  My first dog didn't get those
opportunities, I lived in an apartment, no fenced yard, and so
she did not get those opportunities.  My third dog rarely got
those opportunities either, same reason.  By then I was a little
looser with what my dogs could and couldn't do, but still I had
no fenced yard, so only when I went to visit my parents who did
have a fenced yard was she able to run and play.  Now that I'm
married and a home owner things are different.  But truly dogs
survive and do quite well, whether they get to run off-leash or
not.  I think that what you just wrote could be dangerous.  It
might lead to someone with a brand new dog to let that dog be off
leash in an unsafe place, thinking that they are allowing the dog
freedom.

Do I think it's great that dogs can be off-leash? Yes, but is it
a necessity? No.    Peace,    Debby and Neena