[nagdu] guide dog and parents issue

L Gwizdak leg1950 at cox.net
Thu Jan 15 23:32:49 UTC 2015

Raven,
Good idea but with a big CAUTION.  When your dog gets running on a long line
and it is attached to your arm, you can get a very nasty yank!  The dog can
also get a very nasty yank on its neck - especially if you attach that line
to a choke collar.  Use a buckle collar or a martingale collar. I used to do
this at a dog beach or a dog park because my dog was too distracted to come
when called.  I no longer do this as my shoulder and arm wouldn't like that
yank!

I have taken guide dogs on a "doggy walk" with either a sighted guide or on
my own using my cane.  At my apartment complex, we do have a fenced in yard
that is small but there is room to throw a toy for the dog.  I have taken
Oliver there a coouple of times.  I do take him on a long walk to get to
another bus stop so he gets a good amount of work.  He and I are ready for a
nap afterwards!

Lyn and Oliver
"Asking who's the man and who's the woman in an LGBT relationship is like
asking which chopstick is the fork" - Unknown