[nagdu] moving to a new city: suggestions?

Vivianna irishana at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 05:18:40 UTC 2015

Hi All.
Well, my whole take on this situation is completely different from what i have seen here so far.  i have a dog in order to use her for mobility.  when i brought her home from the school, i did not go around with my cane first while heeling her around.  i just put the harness on and worked her right away.
when i moved last march, i did not go around with my cane and learn my new neighborhood.  i put on her harness, put BlindSquare in my ear and, off i went.
when i travel to new cities, i do not go around heeling my dog until she gets used to things, no way, i use her as the guide she is.
now, with all that said.  if you are not comfortable just hitting the city right away, harness up and go around the block.  don’t heel, work that dog.  that’s what they love, their job.
get the BlindSquare app and use it to simulate your new location and familiarize yourself with the streets around.
then, put the earbuds in and go for it.
that’s the beauty of the combination of a dog and technology.
my dogs have all loved to do new things.
if you feel like it, you could put a folding cane in your bag just in case you want to check something out but, IMO, that’s not necessary with a good working dog at your side.
also, if you need to learn things like, light rail stations, campuses, etc. i would call around and get an O and M instructor to come out and show you those places.
here, all of the light rail stations are different.
i also had an O and M instructor come over and drive around my neighborhood with me so that we could cover a lot of distance and she could tell me about the layout of the streets.  This was so that i can take long walks in different directions.  when i moved last march, i went out walking the very next day after my move.  it was great!  i had no idea where i was going or what i might run into but, with GPS, you can always find your way home.  i ended up in a parking lot and on a street with no sidewalk but, i also ended up back home. lol.
i could not have done this without BlindSquare.  things are so different now.
When i got all my previous dogs, i did not have this luxury.

Vivianna