[nagdu] moving to a new city: suggestions?

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Jan 16 13:36:20 UTC 2015

I agree with Vivianna, except I travelled so long without GPS I don't always
use it.  Or I look at things with the GPS before I set out, then go without.
It's not too reliable in areas with tall buildings, anyway.  If I'm just
taking a walk, I keep track of how many streets I've crossed in what
direction, and then I can backtrack, if need be. I'm sure GPS is helpful,
but I haven't found it to be a necessity.
When I moved to New York City, I got the best travel advice from other blind
people already living here.
When I moved to New Jersey and bought a house, I got a lot of good info from
the realtor about where things are in the neighborhood.
An O&M person could be useful, but is not essential.  Courage and curiosity
will take you a long way.
Tracy