[nagdu] Guide Dogs in Hotels; Sunglasses; who's really sighted?

Chaim B. Segal chaimsegal at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 16 16:03:51 UTC 2015

 Hi All:

Just so that I can make this subject related, I will just say that ordinarily, I only mention that I have a guide dog if I am traveling either alone or with my blind wife. The  only reason being as despite the fact that I have reasonably good travel skills, it sometimes takes my dog and I a little extra time to get oriented. Thus, I need to be shown where to take him to park ETC.

Now, on the subject of sunglasses and its related commentary, I will say that it is putting a few pieces of a puzzle I've had for some time in my mind.

The only time I wear sunglasses is if I am suffering light sensitivity, and even then, I often don't have them on me—actually, usually I don't. Anyway, my wife and I are both blind. I have light perception, and she is does not even have that, but that's irrelevant. I have noticed that when we are out in public, and somebody brings her over to me, they will say, "Here's your friend." There is probably no way for anybody to know this who does not know us personally, but we happen to be an interfaith couple. Regardless however, even if we weren't, I have always been wondering why the heck people think we are friends and not married. Unfortunately, we lost our wedding rings, but even before that happened, the same thing was happening. I'm wondering if sadly, there are a number of folks out there who believe it is impossible for two blind people to be married to each other. While there are of course many blind vs sighted couples out there, even on this list, I have a feeling that in our modern time, there are more blind vs blind couples than in former times. Does anybody have any statistics on this?

Just a passing thought.

Chaim

Chaim B. Segal
Customer Service Representative
Sinclair Community College
E-mail: chaimsegal at sbcglobal.net

Every man, woman, every boy and girl,
Let your love light shine, make a better world.
[Daryl Hall & John Oates