[nagdu] Running without a fenced yard

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 18:42:26 UTC 2015

First of all a flexileash is a leash that retracts back into a handle. It
works kind of like a retractable cord. There are several lengths. You
usually get the best ones at pet stores I think. I think you can get at
places like Walmart, but I think the more heavy duty ones you may have to
get at a pet store.
Now, here's my opinion about letting dogs run. First off, I think it is
admirable if a person's dog will not leave a place fence or not. However,
their instincts are not bred out of them. If something comes along that
excites them enough, they will go. Second, I do let mine run in my
daughter's fenced in yard, but he now has been taken on leash so much that
he really has no desire to stay out a long time. This is good because of the
things he likes to eat in yards. I doubt I would ever let a young dog run. I
would let them all run if I had a fenced area, but the clean up is not an
option if they don't go on leash. Even as they do, I hire a dog poop cleaner
because the little dog mostly won't let you see what she's doing; the other
big dog is a traveling pooper and my DH (and probably I as well), don't get
it all. The guide is pretty good about it. I agree with the person who said
the dogs do fine if they can't run. It's all in what they adjust to. But of
course I think it is in their best interest to then work.
Cindy