[nagdu] Running without a fenced yard

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Jan 19 21:33:40 UTC 2015

I currently have three dogs.  The oldest is not allowed off leash in an
unfenced area.  she would run as far and as fast as she could.  Perhaps not
anymore because she's quite confused, but in her younger days she would have
bolted for the hills.

the middle dog, Monty, is allowed off leash in fenced and unfenced areas.  I
allow him to do this frequently.  He goes with me in the front yard.  He
gets to run at our farm fields outside of town.  He is extremely trustworthy
off leash.   I can call him away from absolutely anything, chasing rabbits,
other dogs, sniffing...anything.  He will come immediately and quickly.   He
does not pick up and eat random debris.  In short he can handle himself off
leash, so he gets the privilege.

My youngest dog, Jetta, is not there yet.   I am hopeful that she will be
able to run free someday, but right now she has a bit of an attitude.  She
hasn't quite learned yet that what I say is what is going to happen.  she's
a Doberman and her attitude isn't surprising.

They all get to run off leash in the fenced backyard and the younger two get
to run at the dog park.  The oldest is unpredictable with new dogs.  I have
never had a problem with Jetta coming when called at the dog park.  At home
she is getting better about coming promptly, but occasionally she dilly
dallies before deciding that she should come to me.

At home the oldest dog goes in the backyard without supervision frequently,
because she likes to stay out there for hours just lying in the sun or
looking off into space or communing with the grasshoppers or whatever else
odd things she thinks up.  The younger two are always supervised in the
yard.  Monty would be fine, but he doesn't like to be without his people.
Jetta is likely to get into things.  We only have one gate to the yard and
it is secured.  I hire the yard to be cleaned up twice a week.

You have to use common sense when letting dogs have freedom.  You have to
know the dog can handle it and you have to provide supervision.  Opening the
front door and wishing your dog happy trails is not okay, not even close.

Julie