[nagdu] What's up with all the scavenging anyhow?

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 21:21:31 UTC 2015

Scavenging is not an epidemic. It has been happening since the
beginning of dog training. Scavenging has more to do with the
individual dog's experience and personality. My dog is definitely a
scavenger. He is extremely food motivated and will eat nearly anything
whether it is food or not. Because of this attitude toward food, he is
naturally more likely to take advantage of an opportunity to steal
food than a dog who is less interested in food. In addition, he finds
something as simple as a piece of paper or plastic rewarding to eat,
where other dogs do not.

I use treats with my dog often. I have figured out which situations
treats are beneficial to learning and when they might be too
distracting for my particular dog. Because food is such a powerful
motivator for Thai, I find it would be irresponsible and unwise for me
not to use such an influential tool.

I don't think the responsible use of treats would trigger scavenging
behavior in a dog. After all, treats generally come from your hand and
no where else. I also do not permit my dog to take a treat unless I
tell him "OK" or click. I have even used treats to stop scavenging
behaviors. For example, my dog would often find food to eat directly
in his path through the lunch area to the cafeteria at my school. I
started giving my dog a treat nearly every time he found a particular
seat in the cafeteria; eventually, he learned to focus on the treat
and praise he would get by finding my seat rather than scavenging on
the way. He didn't think that because I gave him a treat, I gave him
permission to eat what ever he wanted.

I absolutely, 100% support the shift many programs are making from
coercive, correction-based training to positive reinforcement. When I
attended training at GDF a year ago, it seemed obvious (to me) that a
transition was being made from retroactive to proactive training
methods. Treats were used for obedience and some of the "find"
commands, but corrections were used for behaviors such as sniffing or
scavenging.

I honestly couldn't care less what the public thinks of my training
methods. I don't just use treats because it makes me look good. I'm
not going to stop using a Halti because someone thinks it is cruel to
put a "muzzle" on my dog. If carrying something prevents my dog from
scavenging, then I will give him something to carry. I have even
gotten criticized for not using a correction collar to stop my dog
from pulling; everyone knows guide dogs don't pull... (my dog was
leash-guiding at this time)

I remember the first time my dog scavenged in class. It seemed to me
that he started to realize that I couldn't see the food, more
specifically him staring at the food, and hadn't yet learned his body
language to tell him "leave it". Then he realized how rewarding
scavenging could be and started taking advantage of more
opportunities.

Danielle,Thai, and Bonnie (GDF puppy in training)