[nagdu] Calling Poodle People

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Thu Jul 2 21:17:02 UTC 2015

Meghan,

Oh, the grooming! With two poodles on hand, I can answer all of your
questions with "not often enough." /lol/

1. My husband and I have worked together to trim Mitzi, but I've never
gotten brave enough to use clippers on her face or around those other
sensitive areas where the cut needs to be especially close.

2. I brush the beasts daily, except for right after grooming, then I
just brush the topknots and tails. I have to confess to going through
periods where I miss a poodle, depending on where they are in the
grooming cycle, especially now that one is retired and one isn't ready
to need that little extra for indoor access. Loki's getting close, so
I'm going to have to get back on track to keep his coat clean and neat.

3. I use a pin brush and a comb and sometimes a bristle brush. I have a
slicker brush but Mitzi hates it. I haven't tried it on Loki yet. I
really need to add a good grooming spray but haven't gotten around to
getting it yet. I've used olive oil with Mitzi at times, but in this
drier climate and with two poodles to brush, I need to get something else.

4. I haven't done the full monty line brushing, but I do like to brush
Mitzi out, then brush her or comb her against the grain, then brush the
right way again. It makes her coat feel awesome and cleaner, especially
when it is long. It takes awhile, so I'm more likely to do it if we're
watching a movie or something, since we both find it relaxing. Sometimes.

5. I hand pluck the poodles' ears between groomings, but I let the
professionals do the deep down stuff with tools in the ear canal.

6. We have the poodles done every other month. Sometimes we go longer in
winter, and we do monthly in summer.

7. I like a modified field cut. So it's the same length all over, down
to the skin in hygienic areas, with clean face and feet. I also have the
ears trimmed up to the flap when the dog is working. I leave a "hint of
poodle" in the tail and topknot, though I've started having the fan tail
and letting it grow out. I don't like the round knob tail at all. I
tried just having the whole dog shaved without the poodle embellishments
but got tired of having to tell people she was a poodle. So I've learned
to love the topknot and puffy tail. /smile/ People want to put their
hands on the topknot, which is obnoxious, so I try to watch out for that.

8. They don't shed, but they do pick up debris like you would not
believe. If you have your dog sit or lie down, it helps to remember to
brush over the coat with your hands and remove anything you don't want
to take into the meeting with you. If you keep the coat fairly short,
you can get away with a lick and a promise and even just wipe off
surface dirt with a damp wash rag, so that's nice. Once the coat starts
growing out, you don't want the tangles to get ahead of you, especially
if you go longer between groomings.

Mitzi's eyes don't tear too badly, so I can just take the little crust
off with my fingers during petting a couple of times a day. Loki's eyes
tear more, though he's growing out of some of it, so I have to clean his
eyes with a wet rag every day. He's starting to hold still more for
random gunk removal, which does help keep ahead of the buildup.

hth,

Tami