[nagdu] Sidewalk-less walking?

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 03:09:18 UTC 2015

I'm really glad that there are people who like living in the
country.  For me it was dreadful.  First of all, we were 14 miles
from a small town of about 5'000 people.  The only way to get to
town was for my husband to drive me.  We had about a half mile
lane, which was nice to walk down, but it got pretty boring.  The
main road that goes past that house is the county highway.  There
are lots of big trucks that go up and down that road.  The other
problem with it is that there were shoulders on the left side of
the road, but then they would drop off and be on the right side
of the road, with an edge that just dropped off.  Plus there were
curves and trucks and cars would come around the curves quite
fast.  So for me, it was total isolation.  I love living in
Spokane, it's a nice sized town, not huge like Seattle but
there's stuff to do, public transportation and paratransit.  And
sidewalks! Lol.

When we first moved there, we had a Lab pet.  Jake was awesome.
I will never know how he knew to do some of the things he did.  I
was afraid of the cows, even though they were on the other side
of the fence.  Jake would walk next to Cleo who was guiding me,
but he would always put himself between me and the cows.  And one
winter day, we had very steep steps.  I was afraid to go down
them because they were very icy.  I did not say a word to Jake.
I was thinking about how nice it would be if Jake would come up
and be on my other side.  But I did not audibly call to him.  He
came up on my right side, allowed me to hang on to his fur, and
walked down the steep icy steps with me.  When we got to the
bottom, off he ran, tail wagging.  How in the world he knew to do
that, and to keep between me and the cows I'll never know.  The
how he knew to come up and let me hang on to his fur to walk down
those steps is beyond me.  I really wonder if dogs sometimes can
have some kind of ESP or "sixth sense" or something? I know not
every dog has it, but Jake sure had something.    Debby and Nova