[nagdu] Pulling

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sun Jul 5 15:50:22 UTC 2015

Lisa,

I've gotten the best results with something like the "be a tree" method,
with some minor differences.

When the dog pulls, I stop. If the dog keeps pulling, I take a half step
back, then a full step if the dog keeps pulling anyway. As soon as the
dog stops pulling, we move forward again, or in the direction the dog
wants to go. I click or use a verbal marker ("good," in our case) the
instant the leash goes slack, which seems to help my beasts get the idea
faster.

It might help to start by just standing around with the dog for a few
minutes at home, in a yard if you have one or maybe just outside. Wrap
the end of the leash around your hand and put the hand in your pocket or
some such to keep yourself from pulling on the leash. Unless you're
better at remembering not to pull on it than I was at first. /smile/
When the dog pulls on the leash, just take that half step backwards,
away from the pull, then reward when the dog stops pulling. Once the dog
has the idea, take a few steps forward until he stops to pull, then
stop. If he keeps pulling, take a half step backwards. And so on until
he gets it enough to walk a bit more. So you're using successive
approximation to work up to being able to walk nicely without pulling.

It's important then to never let the dog pull and always remember to
practice loose leash. That is just incredibly frustrating, and at first
you may have to plan extra time here and there. Since you're retraining
your dog, it may take longer, with a few more set backs. But it will
come together relatively quickly. In my experience, it helped when *I*
got the hang of loose leash. Now it comes naturally, so I don't
inadvertently mess things up so much.

If the dog keeps pulling after I take a full step backwards, I turn us
both around and walk the other way until the dog is going with the leash
slack, Then we turn back in the direction the dog wanted to go because
that is the reward. That only works when I'm using the cane while I take
the dog on a leisure walk or if I know I'm on smooth clear ground.

I didn't know that technique with Mitzi, and she's also trained to leash
guide, so now that she's retired, I need to do more work with her on
doing loose leash in her collar. When we go walking, I use a walking
harness and have decided to let her pull some in that, since she still
wants to leash guide in it. I used the method to get her to pull less,
and she's figuring out that she can just hang back and walk and enjoy.

With Loki, I started with loose leash in his collar from the very
beginning and a modified version to teach him the pull I want in his
walking harness. That actually worked, and it even worked to teach him
to always do loose leash with the leash I have attached to the front of
his walking harness, while he pulls to learn guiding skills with the
regular leash on the rear attachment. Yay! I wasn't sure if that
arrangement would work out the way I hoped or not, but after a little
practice -- more for me than him, since he got it right off -- it's
working really well.

In theory, the reward for loose leash is moving the way the dog wants to
go, so you can add treats or praise or not while you're training. For a
dog that has already learned to pull, I find adding a verbal cue and a
marker (like the click or word) helps get the new idea through. That
could just be a matter of personal style, though.

Good luck, and let us know what works!

Tami