[nagdu] Pulling

Lisa dreamymarmot93 at yahoo.de
Sun Jul 5 14:43:21 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Taylor has developed a very unpleasant habbit of pulling. But only while
he's not not in harness but on a short leash. Apart from that, I appreciate
his pace very much. But when we're going for walks or just anytime he is
supposed to stay next to me, the problem occurs. And it's neither because of
major distraction, nor because of having to relieve very urgently.
He's actually always in front of me. I did some research and tried several
things, e.g. the "Be a tree"-method: Everytime the dog starts to pull,
you'll stand still. When the dog comes back to you, you praise him a lot. It
seems to work for a lot of people. The disadvantage of this method is
apparently the lack of info the dog gets. So, why his owner suddenly
freezes. So, when I tried this, Taylor would come back, get praised and then
just walk calmly in front of me again. Maybe I'm too impatient and should
try this again but I also wanted to hear your experiences.

My school only taught me to give him a leash correction anytime he started
to pull but I'm not convinced this is the right thing to do...
So, as always, I'm curious what you all say.

Thanks in advance,
Lisa