[nagdu] Clicker and impulse control

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Jul 6 13:19:45 UTC 2015

We were doing well with our impulse control exercises, so yesterday I put
a Cheezit on the edge of the table.  Krokus ignored it until I pushed it
really close to the edge, then he said "Well, if you insist..."  I had my
hand right there, but he was too quick.  I scolded him, which I guess I'm
not supposed to do, and he sat down a foot from the table.  I put another
Cheezit, and he ignored that one.  That's what he did though, when I was
trying to work on this with corrections, ignore the food for a while, then
say "Well, if you're just leaving it there...".
I think we're making progress, but I'm not sure.

Then we got in the bus today, and, as soon as we found a seat, he dived in
and grabbed something someone dropped, which I took away from him.  I'm
wondering if it would be helpful to, as soon as he gets under, use the
hand touch to get him to focus on me and get in position.  Then maybe
he'll be thinking about the treat he's going to get, and not the
"treasure" someone left for him.

I haven't had the GL on him, because he had a small wound right there that
was healing.  But I put it on him Friday when I went out to my local
knitting store, and he sneakily chewed it to bits while I was talking to
someone about my project.  I didn't even feel him wiggling.  So now I'm
nervous about leaving the GL on him for any length of time. Clearly the
puppy is smarter than the human.
Tracy