[nagdu] Clicker and impulse control

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Jul 6 13:57:13 UTC 2015

Using the hand touch on the bus sounds like a really good idea.  As far as
the cheeze it on the table, now you know exactly where his threshold is.
Back up just a bit and work there until you establish a solid pattern of
success.  then make it a bit more difficult either by putting the food
closer or asking for a longer refusal of taking it, but not both.  Once he's
ignoring the food either close or longer, then make it more difficult with
either distance or duration, but only one at a time.

Here's an article on shaping, which is the same thing as successive
approximations.
http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/9_3/features/Training-Your-Dog-Using-Shaping_15792-1.html

Also I love your idea of using the food strainer to cover the food.  I have
never heard of that one before, but it's perfect!

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC