[nagdu] dogs and canes

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Jul 9 13:24:03 UTC 2015

Hi Jack.
I feel your pain.  There are just a lot more people at the national
convention than at state.  Some use their canes well, and some don't.  It
also seems to me that quite a few blind people are used to having people
move out of the way, so don't alter their course to avoid people. It's hard
on the dogs, having a cane-swinging juggernaut coming at them.
The only solutions I know are to try to leave the general meeting early, or
stay late, so as to avoid the rush.  Also, give your dog some down-time.
Hang out in the room, or go outside and find a spot he can have some nice
sniff time.  My guys seem to find a good sniff very relaxing.
And, though it's not easy, try to stay calm yourself, because your dog will
pick up on your aggravation.
I did threaten to break the cane of some idiot who managed to get his cane
through my harness handle, while my dog was standing by my side.  What the
heck was the cane doing up so high!
Good luck.  Take a deep breath, stay calm, and try to avoid the crowds as
best you can.
Tracy