[nagdu] The membership has spoken, and I am disappointed

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 20:10:22 UTC 2015

There seems to be two main arguments why some people do not support
unconditional ownership:
1. Guide dogs are a gift that blind people should feel gratitude for
and indebted to the school.
2. Conditional ownership prevents mistreatment of the dog.

I have never really understood the view that guide dogs are gifts from
the training programs. Yes, the trainers put a lot of time and money
into the dogs; however, it is their job which they are being paid to
complete. The money doesn't come from the school. The dogs are paid
for by public donations. If anything, guide dog users should feel
gratitude toward the puppy raisers and donors, the ones who have given
time and money to enable the dogs' training. Feeling gratitude however
does not mean that you owe anyone anything. When someone gives you a
gift, they expect you to appreciate their time and effort, but they
don't expect to be repaid.

Retaining ownership of a dog will not prevent mistreatment by the
owner. This is part of the reason why their is a screening process, to
determine which applicants would make suitable handlers. At most, the
school can repossess a dog after an incident has already occurred. Of
course, an excessively overweight dog could be taken away from the
handler for example, but wouldn't it be more effective to emphasize
proper nutrition and identification of ideal body condition? As others
have pointed out though, local laws are already in place to remove
dogs from dangerous situations. Perhaps we could put more effort into
educating animal control on what is or is not appropriate treatment of
a service animal (which isn't too much different from a regular pet)
instead of promoting the practice of giving guide dog schools more
power than  is necessary.

I chose to attend a school that offers unconditional ownership upon
graduation because I believe this should be the norm, not the
exception. I know GDF and TSE offer unconditional ownership and I
believe GDA and Freedom do as well.

Danielle, Thai, and Bonnie (GDF puppy in training)

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/beckyasabo%40gmail.

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/solsticesinger%40gm