[nagdu] ownership

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 10:22:32 UTC 2015

The people who say ownership doesn't matter are opposed to ownership
because they have bought into the stories of schools rescuing
overweight dogs, and believe that the schools are the voice for our
dogs, not us. They believe the schools are supposedly some objective
party that keeps us in line when it comes to canine care.

Ownership matters. The person who says it doesn't hasn't had a dog
unjustly taken away from them, hasn't been threatened by the program
they attended, hasn't broken the rules of the contract they signed, or
hasn't known someone who wrongfully had their dog removed from their
possession, or who had their dog removed from their possession under
false pretenses. If you have but you still say ownership doesn't
matter, I have no words for you.

There was a time when I thought ownership didn't matter, too. But I
was very new to the guide dog handler community, and had not yet heard
the testimonies and stories. People having their dogs taken away
because their dog was sick, or the school suggesting that the dog be
returned because it's had too many ear infections, or schools
repossessing dogs by claiming they want to bring it in for brush-up
training, only to withhold the dog from the client's possession
permanently.
And now that I actually work for a guide dog school, I get to here
trainers and employees talk about this, ... with no remorse. It's all
ra-ra what the school thinks, and just disregard the client's feelings
about repossessing the dog. Yes, the dog was overweight. Yes, they
admitted that they feed it table scraps. So what? Rather than ripping
the dog from them, how about educating them? How about sending a
trainer or field rep their to talk to the family about why being
overweight is damaging? How about discussing appropriate treats? How
about discussing how feeding table scraps encourages undesirable
behavior and can cause health problems? Nope. That didn't happen. The
school just said they need to bring the dog in for brush-up training,
and then they re-homed it with a different family. That's horrifying.
I care about all dogs' well-being. But I also think that people need
to be educated when they make mistakes or mess up. Start with the
least invasive measure, then progress to more aggressive courses of
action.

Now, let me say, I chose to attend a program that does not offer
ownership upon graduation. After 2 years, clients can file for
ownership, and only if they've submitted a Health & Work report for
those 2 years. While I am grateful for the help they've provided to me
post graduation, I don't owe anyone any information. They gave me the
dog, in a state of less-than stellar health, might I add, so it is my
responsibility to be concerned about his well-being. If schools were
really concerned about the dogs' well-being, they would do much more
for these dogs than they do, like not feeding the cheapest crap out
there, but that is just my opinion.
Frankly, I don't regret my choice in school considering GEB offers
support not provided by the schools who grant ownership upon
graduation. Of course, I don't think those schools do what GEB does to
acquire the money that they have, but that's a different topic.

I agree with Marilyn, the schools don't want our dogs back. However,
some schools are more apt to take your dog back than others. Some
schools will do their darnedest to work with you and try to make you
and the dog work out, and will only take the dog back if things really
aren't going well. And other schools will try to repossess your dog if
they've been to the vet too many times within the past 6 months.
Also, there will always be people who have guide dogs and should not,
whether that school gives ownership right away or not. There are some
people who have guide dogs, rarely use them, don't even like them, but
keep them for whatever reason, and in spite of reports from others,
the school leaves the dog in that person's possession.

So who should really decide when a dog should be taken back? I mean,
in the case of neglect, abuse, or decline in health, should it be the
school, client, or a third party who decides what happens to the dog?
Since the dogs are property in our possession, do we have a right to
continue with practices that are detrimental to the dog? And who is to
decide what is truly detrimental? Who is supposed to be the objective
voice of the dog? Who is to decide who truly has the dog's best
interests at heart? Should the schools be able to take a dog back at
will?
--
Raven
Founder of 1AM Editing & Research

You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you
have or what you do.

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs